The Maldivian Medical Association is the first independent and representative body of doctors in the Maldives. The association was officially registered on the 16th of October 2005 with the registration number T-2005/59/29. The official motto of the association is towards a healthier nation.
For years, the need to have a representative body for the Maldivian doctors was felt. The idea of forming the association gathered pace and after several consultations, 16th of October 2005 saw the birth of Maldivian Medical Association. The association was registered under the founding members; Dr Hamid Rasheed, Dr Mohamed Solih, Dr Ibrahim Yasir Ahmed and Dr Aseel Jaleel. The association was initially managed by an interim body with Dr Ahmed Jamsheed Mohamed as the chairperson. The first governing body was elected on 16th December 2006 with Dr Ismail Shafeeu as its first president. The current Executive Committee is headed by Dr Ali Shahid Mohamed.
Aims & Objectives
The association aims to improve the medical services and to develop professionalism amongst the Maldivian doctors. To achieve these aims the association would do the following:
- To organize and conduct activities that will improve the health sector and to provide support to any authority who organize and conduct activities that will improve the health sector.
- To organize and conduct activities to proliferate friendship amongst the Maldivian Doctors.
- To establish a forum that will focus on the problems and other important issues that afflict the Health Sector.
- To associate with Medical Associations from other countries.
- To conduct medical research and to participate and help others who organize and conduct such activities.
- To organize and conduct activities that will improve the professional skills of Maldivian Doctors. Work for the protection of the rights of Maldivian Doctors.
- To establish a forum that will concentrate on achieving the objectives of the Association.
- To establish a forum that will encourage the partnership of all parties involved in the Medical Services.
- To establish a forum to facilitate such activities that provides opportunities, which will help in achieving the objectives of the Association.
- To work towards and provide assistance in achieving all goals and objectives aforementioned.
The associations’ membership is open to all doctors, Maldivian and non-Maldivian, working in the Maldives. The association currently has a membership well in excess of 200. There are different categories of membership.
- Executive Members: These are Maldivians who hold an MBBS or equivalent degree from an institute recognised by the association and holding Maldivian Medical Council registration. They will be eligible for voting, to pay membership fees and be able to participate in general body meetings as full members.
- Special Members: These are non-Maldivian doctors currently working in the country and holding Maldivian Medical Councils temporary registration. They are required to pay a membership fee and may participate in general body meetings as observers. They will, however, hold no voting rights.
- Associate Members: These are Maldivian who are currently undertaking medical training at an institute recognised by the association. They may participate in general body meetings as observers; however, they are not required to pay a membership fee and are not entitled to vote.
- Supportive Members: These are individuals or groups from within the Maldivian health sector working towards improving health of the country as envisaged in the Aims and Objectives of the association. They can participate in the general body meetings as observers. They are not required to pay a membership fee and are not eligible for voting.
- Honorary membership: These are membership offered by the association’s governing body in recognition of outstanding services, contribution and financial support to the association.
Governing body (Executive Committee)
The associations governing body is elected by a general election for a 2-year term. The governing body comprises of 9 members; President, Vice President, Executive Secretary, Deputy Secretary, Spokesperson, Treasurer, Health Promotion Coordinator, Academic Secretary and a Scientefic Secretary. The governing body has the responsibility of running the association for their term of office.
The association is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation and as such has limited fund-generating capacity. It is highly dependent on externally generated and contributed funds for all its activities. At present the associations’ major financial partner is Mr Mohamed Waheed Dean via the Hope Project. It also received a significant financial input from the government of the Maldives in getting it established. The activities of the association are currently financed by very generous funding provided by private organisations, businesses and individuals including but not limited to Universal Enterprises, Happy Market, Dhiraagu, etc. The association has, in addition, begun collecting membership fees in 2007 with the aim of using such funds for its activities. Other fund-raising activities are planned and carried out on a regular basis.
To donate funds for the Maldivian Medical Association please contact Dr Mohamed Areesh, Treasurer at the associations office or send funds to the associations account at Bank of Maldives; account number: 7701 156118 001 (Maldivian Rufiyaa).